first female card at Broadway Boxing

Another female first: A female bout is scheduled for the flashy, second annual Broadway Boxing show at the Manhattan Center in NYC this week. Maureen Shea vs. Kimberly Colbert. Story at New York Post Online.

It's hard to find info on Colbert, I find. WBAN doesn't have a profile on her, and British Boxing.com lists her as male. This makes me feel for her (I'm pretty sure this is a her).

But Bronx boxer Shea is getting a lot of enthusiastic press on this match. She's an undefeated, farily new pro (5-0), has a following in both the Irish and Latin communities, and is touched by Hollywood's fringe light -- she was chief sparring partner for (all hail the magnificent) Hilary Swank for four months during Swank's training for Million Dollar Baby.

In reading Shea's interviews, what's funny to me is that she is so stoked about earning a BA in English with a minor in Communications. I feel that I, too, should be hit in the head regularly, as penance for pursuing English and Communication majors. And I hafta wonder which of these pursuits will fare better for her. Either way, I recognize in her someone who said: Which careers have the highest odds against financial success and security? English? Boxing? I'll take both!

Shea's profile on WBAN
An article on Shea's work with Swank for Million Dollar Baby, from Telegraph (UK), which includes this photo of Shea with her trainer, Hector Roca:

No comments: