more reasons to eat chocolate


In honor of Valentine’s Day, here are four healthy reasons to enjoy chocolate, from Fitness magazine.

To kick a cough: Theobromine, a chemical in chocolate, is as effective at soothing coughs as codeine, a key ingredient in many prescription meds.

To fight cavities: Theobromine may also strengthen teeth better than fluoride, according to Tulane University researchers.

Gastronomical distress: Cocoa contains potent antioxidants that bind to and inhibit a protein in the intestines that causes diarrhea, say scientists at the Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland in California. No wonder it has been used as a remedy since the 16th century.

To save face: British scientists found that less than an ounce of flavanol-rich chocolate a day may help protect your skin from the harmful effect of UV rays. (Sunscreen is still a must).


Sweet links

Chocolate Truth on Twitter

Top 20 reasons chocolate is better than sex

4 comments:

Steven Rice said...

Kat, I think there is room for debate on your last point about sunscreen. I don't know if you have followed the vitamin D developments over the last few years, but there is good reason to consider getting sun exposure so your body produces this critical hormone.

Two great resources are happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/vitamin_d and vitamindcouncil.org. My
approach is on my blog, briefly, sunscreen where damaged, sun where not.

However, I'm totally with you on chocolate!

Positive Massage Therapy

The Mighty Kat said...

Hi Steven, yes, I have read about the overhyping on sun protection, and I take D3 when I can't get at least five minutes a day. This is info from Fitness mag, not me. Actually, this is the first time I've ever read there is any sun protection in cocoa; that's a wild thought anyway. Either way, I'll be eating chocolate, too. :-)

Nick Horton said...

Any excuse to eat more chocolate, I'm down with! I'll just go with the sun thing ... chocolate, here I come!

I lift enough to burn it off, right?

Nick

The Mighty Kat said...

Hey Nick! Straight up, you deserve to eat chocolate. And around here, sun really isn't too much of a concern right now, anyway :-) Thanks for stopping by!