Vasiliy Alexeev - a symbol of the unexpected


A giant fell this Thanksgiving weekend. The great Super Heavyweight Russian Vasiliy Alexeev died on Friday, Nov. 26, 2011. One of the world's strongest men ever and one of the all-time greatest weightlifters, Alexeev broke more than 80 world records, held the world championship title for eight years (1970-77), and won gold medals in Munich and Montreal. He was the first person to lift over his head a quarter of a ton - 501.5# - in the clean and jerk recorded below. In 1980, Alexeev performed a one-arm snatch of 231 pounds.

Beyond all of these near-incredible feats and firsts, though, is the transcendence that this man symbolized and still symbolizes, whether you know anything about weightlifting or not: Alexeev proves that excellent physical conditioning and strength does not always look like Adonis. He had a big belly. His physique is unique and distinct: there is only one weightlifter who looks like Alexeev, and that is Alexeev. He wasn't pretty. Most muscle magazines you see in grocery stores wouldn't find him fit for their covers today. He doesn't fit the mold.

If you know what you're looking for, you can see the traits of hardwon strength - the developed back and shoulders, the sturdy frame, the compact mass evenly developed throughout the body. But most people in the general public won't see it. They'll see his belly and stop there.

When I managed a training staff at one of the chain gyms, I was fortunate enough to work with a strength athlete who was similar to this build. Meek in nature, good in heart and overweight by the popular measure, this trainer was thoroughly knowledgeable in strength training from discus to powerlifting. He taught me a lot. He introduced me to lifting with chains. He tried to get me to squat below parallel but I was too ignorant and stubborn at the time to listen.

One day a well-to-do woman probably in her 50s took me aside near my office. She had a message for me, as head of the trainers. She told me, in no uncertain terms, that when she sees someone who looks like him, overweight, she wasn't inclined to train with him, and that he ought to look around and take care of himself first if he wanted to train other people.

It struck me like a knife. I was shocked. In my particular naivete, it had never occurred to me that anyone could see him as anything less than he was. He was one of the strongest men she would ever have the privilege to meet, probably one of the most knowledgeable in ways that many of our prettier trainers would never be, a true athlete who had developed himself in mind and body over many years of disciplined dedication. He just had a layer of love over his powerful frame. Was he unhealthy? He could have been healthier if he'd dropped some pounds, sure, but compared to someone like her? He was, or at least had been in his life, healthier than she could ever dream of being.

I was so thrown off that I didn't shoot her down right then and there. I simply expressed acknowledgment of what she was saying, in my polite, professional way. I've regretted that with a kick countless times over the years.

When I see Alexeev, he makes me think of that trainer. And I can't think about him without that heartwrenching moment coming back to haunt me. So while he inspires pride and joy for all the usual reasons a champion does, he also bolsters my pride and certainty as proof of the fact that strength does not always come in the packages you expect.





Many more details, including his prolific career record, are on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think most of us have those moments- I work in retail, so even though these kinds of moments are rare, it happens enough that I'm no longer taken aback by them. What strikes me is that it's kind of sad that someone's life and worldview can be that restricted at her age.

Anyway...what's really striking about that video is how easy it looks. I love seeing things like that- someone so on their game that the effort looks natural, even if it might be pushing the edge of their own envelope. Thank you for sharing it.

The Mighty Kat said...

Chris, I totally agree with you on how amazingly easy he makes this look. The form should stay the same, no matter what the weight! Inspiring.