female bodybuilders in pop culture

Terry Spivey's very readable article Cartoons and Accomplishments looking back over the years at female bodybuilder-types in movies, cartoons and the like belies his serious, longstanding, reverent devotion to Amazons. I'm happy to direct more readers to it. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the subject, but was delightedly surprised to discover more must-see films and books through this piece. Terry and I both have articles posted on fbbworld.com, one of my all-time favorite female bodybuilders sites. I tip my hat to you, Terry~

excerpt from Cartoons and Accomplishments

"Over the years I’ve been on a quest to see as many Hollywood films as possible in which women bodybuilders have had cameos, supporting or occasionally a leading role. Just last week, I had some friends sit me down to watch the DVD of “Napoleon Dynamite”. Half way through the film I recognized pro bodybuilder Virginia Brady in a short scene. Her acting skills left much to be desired but her physique was outstanding. The scene was basically farcical in its depiction. Ms. Brady was practically portrayed as a “woman of extreme proportions”. Like Barrymore, Virginia Brady was a caricature of herself with the upshot being that she was one more, strange person in this dysfunctional Idaho small town. My friends laughed out loud and speculated that she was really a man but I was quick to correct their crass misjudgment. Nothing more was said about her after I corrected them.

My point in this little illustration is to draw your attention to a travesty of exploiting women who have accomplished a unique and exceptional achievement. Women bodybuilders had, at one time, a great deal of respect from filmmakers. I want to take a little time travel back to an era when that level of respect was high."

No comments: