Elena Reid world champ flyweight


photo from a ring of their own press page
'Baby Doll' a Champion at Last
After two failed attempts, Reid wins flyweight title
By David A. Avila - The Press-Enterprise

Elena "Baby Doll" Reid finally captured the flyweight world title with a unanimous decision over Mary "The Heat" Ortega.

"I hope this opens doors," Reid said. "I don't want to just be a world champion nobody knows. I want people to know I'm a world champion." --Okay, Elena, here's my contribution.

Reid had twice before fought for the flyweight world title, both times in Germany. But the Las Vegas resident fell just short each time and returned home without the title belt. Not this time.

"It was one of the greatest fights in female boxing history," said Ken Weiss, one of the promoters of the event that took place Aug. 31 in Lake Tahoe. "The crowd went crazy."

Reid used an aggressive attack to wear down Ortega. After 10 rounds, the judges scored it 98-92 twice and 97-93 for Reid.

Read the rest at The Press-Enterprise



Here's an Elena quote from her page at Wikipedia.


"Boxing taught me discipline, determination and the importance of my body. Those three things have given me the inspiration to lead a healthy and goal-oriented life. It's bettered my education and raised the quality of my relationships with my friends and family. My teachers, family and peers always treat me with respect and admire my aspirations and hard work."

No comments: