Something Familiar mentioned on Talk of the Nation

Today on the NPR show Talk of the Nation, the discussion was on improving one's writing by reading good writing. Listeners were asked to submit the first line of their book. I was pulling out of the parking lot at work but turned back in and ran inside and got on someone's computer and emailed. Near the end of the show, host Neal Conan read mine, identified the book as Something Familiar by Kat Ricker and even said the book is available for pre-order on Amazon.com! Suh-wheet! Here's the link to listen - at 30:34.


And the first line is:
As soon as we pulled that mermaid up,
I knew I was in for it.


My book was a perfect candidate for this discussion because The Rebecca Review says "If you are a writer, this is one of the top ten books you should read in your lifetime. It teaches you more about writing than a book on writing ever could." Oooh - gives me shivers, every time.

Book update: Rebecca Johnson is allowing me to use her blurb "One of the top 10 books you should read in your lifetime" on the cover. And the book ships to the printer today - Cheers!

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Sweet!