the narcissist movement


Five psychologists have spent a few years looking at the fall out from the "self-esteem movement" that rose in the 1980s. They assert that the effort to build self-confidence has gone too far, and produced a population of narcissists. As entertaining as narcissism can be to onlookers with a sense of irony, they lay out the damage: "narcissists tend to lack empathy, react aggressively to criticism and favor self-promotion over helping others." Narcissists are "more likely to have romantic relationships that are short-lived, at risk for infidelity, lack emotional warmth, and to exhibit game-playing, dishonesty, and over-controlling and violent behaviors." Plus, their sense of reality is whacked.

In the study, they asked American college students for responses to "If I ruled the world, it would be a better place," "I think I am a special person" and "I can live my life any way I want to."

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, Professor Jean Twenge of San Diego State University. "Kids are self-centered enough already."

The AP article is really interesting, with many points that could be explored and debated, and the study is sure to fuel some fires. It's Study: Vanity on the rise among college students

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat

Val and I were just talking about this study last night. I think it really explains the bizarre phenomenon that is reality television.

The Mighty Kat said...

Good point!

This confirms my assertion that children should be regularly beaten. I'll extend that to the producers of reality shows.