Living Era releases George Formby 2-CD set


Oh MAN!!! Am I the only person under 60 to be flipping over this? George Formby is fantastic. I can't wait to get this collection. (Thanks, Guy, for the tip!)

From Sanctuary Classics -

George Hoy Booth (1904-1961), otherwise “George Formby”, endeared himself to his audiences with his cheeky Lancashire and folksy Northern England persona to such an extent that he has become an icon.

With a toothy grin and playing his banjolele (hybrid banjo/ukelele) to accompany his postcard-style risqué songs, he became, along with Gracie Fields, Britain’s best-loved, and highest paid entertainer, and the top box-office attraction from 1934-1945, starring in 16 films. Today only Elvis Presley copiers can boast greater numbers than the legion of George Formby impersonators!

52 George Formby classics are collected together on Living Era’s double CD Leaning On A Lamp Post.

These include every single one of his familiar favourites. Hearing When I’m Cleaning Windows, With My Little Stick Of Blackpool Rock, Chinese Laundry Blues, Auntie Maggie’s Remedy and all the others conjures up a vivid picture of this utterly unique figure; a crucial piece of Britain’s heritage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm 44 and I love George. Maybe that why women don't like me!!!!!!

If we had more happy stuff like this around, the world would be a better place.

The Mighty Kat said...

Nah, it's probably something else.

I agree with you on the latter - the world can only be improved by great stuff like this.