Oregon Golden Gloves

Championship finals - good tournament, terrific night.

Three out of ten final bouts were chicks. One of those was especially good - featherweight Breanna Morlock of Ferndale vs. Ivet Panacoatl of Hillsboro. Evenly matched fighters with sharp skills and great conditioning. Bantamwieght Janna Piper of Portland had impressive skill and technique. She lost against windmill wailer Angelica Acuna of Ferndale. Acuna had consistent aggression but little skill. Unfortunately, the crowd and often the judges tend to reward that. But I'd watch Piper.

Lots of good bouts between guys, especially lighter weight classes. I particularly liked light-welterweight Jasper Smith of Warm Springs Nation. He won a well-executed fight with Thomas Miller of Kelso that had the crowd roaring over the lounge music from the next room (this was at an Elks Lodge).

Sponsors were all unions - ironworkers, pipefitters, dockworkers, laborers, bricklayers. Awesome.

Of note in the history of this tournament is 77-year-old Dorothy Milberger, who's been organizing and judging the event since the 1960s. The Oregonianhighlighted her in the preview article (nod to Laura Oppenheimer for her thoughtful coverage). I'd love to interview Dorothy for Straight to the Bar, so if anyone out there can hook me up, please post here.

Top - crappy cell phone photo of wailing windmill welterweights Dalia Diaz of Portland vs. Griselda Madrigal-Santana of Wenatchee.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments on Breanna and Ivet's fight both are excellent fighters one thing I found interesting though it was only Breanna's 7th bout and Ivet's 16th bout her record now 14-2 Breanna was clearly the winner of that fight just watch the video and count who through and landed more punches way to BREEZY

The Mighty Kat said...

Thanks for posting. I'm allowing your comment, altho I don't like anonymous comments, FYI. If you know where the fights are posted online, let me know. I'll link.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry what did I say that you didn't like ? I don't know of a link but a local tv station was filming and tapes will be available I believe it was to be shown on a local station in Oregon also I taped the fights myself and watched. Was it the bonus point thing if so sorry that was uncalled for.

The Mighty Kat said...

Your thoughts are fine. I usually only post comments attributed to a person who identifies him or herself, rather than anonymously.

The Mighty Kat said...

On the video thing, I would be happy to link if you know of a place online with any of the fights - youtube, vimeo, etc.

Anonymous said...

In regards to your comment on the 114 lb Bantamweight fight, I seriously would like to know what fight you were watching? Angelica Acuna dominated the fight from the begining with tremendous skills and speed. Her jabs, powerful hooks and straight right hands rattled Jana a few times!! I'm surprised Jana survived all 3 rounds. Jana Piper had NO skills nor technique. Apparently, I wasn't the only one that saw Acuna's skills becuase she was also named the "Golden Girl" for outstanding female boxer of the event. In my eyes, Acuna is the one to watch!!

The Mighty Kat said...

Thanks for posting! I love a feisty spice now and then. If boxing were an absolute science instead of a sweet one, we wouldn't need multiple judges.

Again, I generally do not allow anonymous comments, so in case anyone is thinking of posting another one, this is the cut-off. Post with an identity or your comment will not appear. After all, most recent anonymous, do you want everyone to assume you are actually Ms Acuna posing as a supporter?

BRIAN ZELLEY said...

Good pice with interesting comments.
Brian Zelley, 1968 Oregon Golden Gloves