workday fitness center work out


I deeply appreciate having a fitness center at the building where I work. The dues are cheap, it's convenient. It has more stuff than most average hotel fitness centers.

That said, it's a far cry from my home studio, of course. It's hot - 70 degrees. No ventilation with the outside. Mirrors instead of windows (I'm so over having mirrors around). The floor is too soft - feels like carpet with a full pad underneath.

And I'm a far cry from my mighty mode when I'm standing for the first time in an otherwise sedentary officework day, feeling rushed in a stuffy, soft-floored room.

So all things considered, here is what I'm finding works.

Day 1 - Standard chest & bicep-specific work.
Day 2 - Overall work out to get my blood flowing.
- 5 minutes walking on treadmill
- push-up/pull-up, increase reps - 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4
- overhead squats on Universal machine, military press station, to work on bottom position in Olympic lifts
- straight-leg deadlift with DBs
- pull-ups, various grips
- push-ups on DB, extend into row, each one
- Atlas hip rotation lift (I created this one, must explain in another post)
- 5 - 8 minutes on elliptical machine

This feels great and gets me back into my groove for the day and week. It's a lesson in accepting the idea of a LIGHT work out. I'm trying to let go of the notion that I'll do any serious heavy lifting there, or anything involving jumping, like DB swings and cleans. There's another time and place for that. Another application of Be Here Now.

No comments: