POW at 2013 Oregon LWC State Championships

Here are the lifts from state this year for POW. I did two meets in two days, but not by design; somehow I'd gotten the date wrong for state, and thought it was another week out. So in between clean and jerks at the Freak Show in Aberdeen, WA, on Sat., June 1, someone brought up that state for Oregon was tomorrow. I'd already mailed in my entry form and I had a lifter debuting in it, so I had to go, anyway. Aberdeen was a three-hours drive and an all-day affair, and I used more of my energy to help out loading during the men's snatches. My lifts were just ok; I got my minimally acceptable 100KG total with 42/58. So I got home close to 10 p.m. hit the bricks and turned around and drove two hours south early Sunday morning. At the weigh-in, my hair wasn't even combed. It turned out to be one of my best meets ever. I hit 5 out of 6 lifts, getting all three of my snatches including a meet PR or 47.5 (yes, in Oregon we have .5s, although USAW doesn't count them in the records, so it's basically wasted effort). I tied my clean and jerk PR of 60 and powercleaned 62 for what was my first attempt at it ever. I missed the jerk but that's okay. Moreover, I can see and could feel progress in my form and technique. Sure, I have a ways to go, but I know who I am as a lifter, and this was a great marker for where I'm at. Liz Majdecki, whom I coach, debuted at state with an admirable performance. She looked good and was well-prepared; in fact, Tom Hirtz said to the crowd that it was hard to believe it was her first meet. We did dry runs the last month of weekends, complete with flags, and it paid off. Liz is a natural, talented athlete. Now that she's turned her talents to Olympic-style weightlifting, she's one to watch.

2 comments:

Jeff Sutherland said...

Wow, that power clean is looking super strong!

The Mighty Kat said...

I appreciate you saying that, Jeff. I am training the full clean in the gym. It's not as strong as my powerclean. So I decided to powerclean in the meet for numbers. Just before this meet, instead of being ashamed of this, I finally found peace with my powerclean by deciding, okay, if I'm going to powerclean in the meet, I'm going to powerclean the shit out of it! And that was my first ever attempt at 62, and felt strong.