another grrl boxer knocking 'em out

Her name is Elena Reid. The article is from the University of Nevada's The Rebel Yell. yawn Writer Barry Wong took such a worn, trite approach, I'd be irritated if I weren't so genuinely dismissive. But here it is, because Elena deserves some positive attention.


Elena Reid fights through world dominated by men
By: Barry Wong

For 30 to 40 hours a week, Elena Reid spends time at a 2,000-square-foot gym at UNLV.

The building, formerly an athletic equipment room, is not filled with weights, treadmills and stationary bikes. Instead, speed bags, heavy bags and a ring occupy it.

Within the sport of boxing, the 24-year-old marketing major participates in a world dominated by men.

"It's an everyday obstacle," Reid said.

Reid faces the gender challenge outside the walls of UNLV's boxing gym as well. Two different situations for first impressions arise. On one side, Reid meets people who know she boxes but have never seen her.

"They think I must be manly. Like there's something wrong with me, and I can't be a girl if I want to box," Reid said. "I wear dresses. I wear pink to all my fights. I'm a girl."

click above to read the full story

No comments: