black coffee blues by Jill Rice Robinson

It is my honor to present blues lyrics by my old friend, renaissance woman Jill Rice Robinson - musician, poet, versatile writer, drawing artist, woodworker, yogi, regional planner, mother, a woman with wise eyes and a wicked-strong furnace of creative energy.

black coffee blues
by Jill Rice Robinson

there were tears in my coffee
tears on my pancakes
tears on my eggs
on the day you left me we were drinking coffee
but tell you what
that was some of the best damn coffee I ever did have

I kept on drinking coffee all that day
I like it hot and dark and bitter
I don’t want the sugar
I don’t want the cream
I just want the coffee baby

when the morning’s still in darkness and everything’s still quiet
I love the feeling of the craving
I love the anticipation
the way the first hot sips will feel
passing over my lips and flowing through me
I like the little curls of steam
And the way it warms my hands
when I hold my coffee

you were real good
most of the time, and
oh yeah, I’m sad to see you go
sometimes I think about you and you rush through me
hot and dark and wonderfully bitter
like a big old swig of coffee

No comments: