progress in Olympic lifts & boxing

Notes from today's great work out:

O. lifting has made me stand up straight. Doing so is critical to the whole deal, and the erector muscles have come a long way developing for heavy weight overhead. So as an adult, I can finally say I understand what it means to stand up straight - no more guessing, holding shoulders back, head up, and whatever else is general buzz for this fuzzy concept of good posture. Good posture is a powerful-looking stance, and it looks good.

Boxing - after years, today I finally got the hang of the jab. The cross is the easy one to pick up, the jab always eluded me as a power punch. Today I realized the key is standing a bit more sideways than I had been so that the arm extension executes laterally, and - here's where it is kinesthetically - eccentric contraction on the entire shoulder girdle on through the lat group. It's an expansion this way, and now that I've felt it and repeated it over and over, I can say it feels great.

Terrific lift. For the record,
1) pull-ups, chain push-ups, pulldowns, bi curls, lat/ant delt raises
2) clean & jerk - max for reps (!)
3) bagwork

nearly two hours, lots of breaktime, eating throughout. Honeystinger, chicken with veggies, Endurox

No comments: