caloric restriction vs. anorexia

Ideas! Thought! Information! Kate Taylor delivers unusual insights and logic in a quick and easy read in this terrific piece showing how similar anorexia and the caloric restriction fad are; Slate ran eating for fewer than one today. I've never been anorexic, but because I've had friends and clients who were, I've done a lot of reading about it over the years, and thought I had a pretty complete grasp of the subject. Yet the insights Kate offers in this brief article are fresh and profound.

How she manages weaving her personal experience into this essay successfully gives her ideas authority. It's nice to see this style of writing carrying such value in content, for two reasons: one, I'm a big fan of narrative as a teaching medium; and two, usually, we general readers would only stumble upon such information in a stuffy, overwrought, verbose academic piece, and I believe that writing style is just not necessary to convey complex ideas.

Back to the content, I've seen some pieces on this caloric restriction fad in the media, and it didn't sit right with me. Now I understand why.

So I urge anyone remotely interested in these topics to read her piece. Judging by this article, I'd say Taylor's upcoming book is one to watch--an anthology of essays about anorexia called Going Hungry, which will be published next spring. Taylor is an arts reporter at the New York Sun.

exerpts

Like anorexics, CRONies discover in starvation an apparent solution to their problems: a source of energy (at least at first), a sense of purpose, and relief from stress...

my interviews led me to conclude that calorie restriction, while not anorexia, constitutes its own new kind of eating disorder.

No comments: