my guest post at Jen's Gym


It is my utter honor to be a guest blogger at Jen's Gym, one of my favorite blog stops. Jen (see photo) is a self-proclaimed CrossFit nut, a fabulously strong Amazon, an inspiring blogger, and a woman who can do muscle-ups on the rings.

Here's an excerpt. Read the full post here.

Sports was never my thing, and it can be tough to stumble into a fitness discipine. I had a few early inclinations. I picked up my father’s dumbbells when I was a kid, and carefully followed the exercise diagrams for building shoulders. I noticed people’s musculature and admired fit bodies. I called a gymnastics place and asked about the rings, but was told they didn’t teach girls the rings.

In elementary school, I was the only girl who could climb the knotted rope at the fire station, and I did the flexed-arm hang for longer than any girl in the county, they said. I did the hand-over-handle bars until I grew too tall.

I mention these things because there are kids out there like this right now, and maybe you can spot them and guide them to opportunity. I think adults take kids’ playing for granted, especially girls, and can overlook natural inclinations that could blossom with the right environment. So I pass on this tiny flag.

No comments: